Repair or Replace Air Conditioning System?
How do you know whether it is time to repair or replace your current air conditioning system?
Repair or Replace Air Conditioning System
One useful trick is to determine if the A/C repair is 30% or more of the cost required to replace the entire system. Some repairs, such as compressor and evaporator work can get expensive. Sometimes, it’s smarter to replace.
Here are some telltale signs that it is the right time for A/C replacement:
1. Old Age
Age isn’t the only thing you should factor in when determine whether you should repair or replace, but it certainly is one red flag. A/C units that are older than 10 years are good candidates for replacement.
Air conditioning units last around 15-20 years. After 10 years, efficiency levels begin to drop considerably. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, replacing an older unit (over 10 years old) with a modern, energy-efficient unit can save you 20-40% a year on cooling costs.
When shopping for a replacement A/C, look for a SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) rating of at least 15. The higher the air conditioner’s SEER number, the more efficient it is. In fact, as of 2015, it is required that new air conditioning systems be at least 13 (for split system air conditioners) and at least 14 (for heat pumps and packaged systems).
2. Poor Performance
There are many reasons why you may be experiencing poor AC performance, including improper sizing, ductwork problems, old AC units, and nonworking parts. If you are feeling hot and cold spots, poor airflow, or frequent repairs, contact a professional HVAC technician to diagnose your system and recommend a repair or replacement.
3. Expensive Repairs
If you know your HVAC technician by name, you may be spending too much on repairs. If you are spending a lot of money on HVAC repairs, stop and think before you instantly shell out money for the next one. When the repair is no longer worth it, ditch it and get a new one that will give you years of uninterrupted service.
4. High energy bills and low energy efficiency
Heating and cooling accounts for around half of your total energy bills. It can be costly maintain a home, and one of the main expenses is HVAC. In order to keep your monthly bills and environmental impact low, it’s recommended that you use a high-efficiency AC system. If you have been noticing increasingly high utility bills, consider a replacement over a repair, especially if you are noticing other things on this list, such as old age and expensive repairs.
5. Refrigerant Leaks
Although refrigerant leaks can easily be repaired and recharged, if you are experiencing frequent refrigerant leaks, your technician may recommend replacement over repair. Once the leaks start, they tend to continue. In these cases, repair efforts won’t be able to fix the underlying problem and a replacement may be recommended instead.
There are many different options when it comes to upgrading or replacing your air conditioning equipment. Installed and sized properly, a new air conditioning system will last give you dependable comfort for years.
Benefits of A/C Replacement:
- Increased comfort during the hot, summer months
- Lower utility bills (around 20-40% savings every year)
- Protection against breakdowns during heat waves
- Quiet operation (around the level of a low conversation)
- Warranties, rebates, and tax incentives for high-efficiency systems
Before you call the professionals, do some basic A/C troubleshooting first:
- Make sure your air conditioner is receiving power by checking the electrical panel, indoor switch (near indoor air handler), and outdoor switch (near outdoor condenser unit).
- Inspect your air filter and replace it if it is dirty. Never go more than 90 days before cleaning or replacing your filter.
- Make sure your thermostat is set to “cool” and is set to a lower temperature than room temperature.
- We’re here for you if you have any questions. Contact us for 24-hour assistance at (253) 292-3995.
- Is It Time to Buy a Central Air Conditioning System?
- What to Know Before Buying a New Air Conditioner
- A/C Replacement FAQ
- HVAC FAQ
Spend time on the important things in life, not whether or not you have a working air conditioner. If your system is in need of a repair or replacement, trust the professionals at Pacific Heating & Cooling.
Since 1984, we’ve proudly served homeowners throughout Federal Way, Graham, Spanaway, University Place, Steilacoom, Sumner, Lakewood, Puyallup, Tacoma and Gig Harbor.